1 W 4th St
New York, NY 10012
Director, Development & Strategy
Description of Organization:
Since 1970, Mitzvah Corps has been the premier provider of social justice experiences for Jewish high school students, giving teens the opportunity to travel the world, build meaningful relationships with one another and their global peers, understand the complexities and challenges facing various communities, take action on issues they care about, and embrace the ways that Judaism empowers them to enact real change. Mitzvah Corps currently offer summer service experiences in New Jersey, Seattle WA, New Orleans & the American South, Costa Rica and Israel.
Bnai Mitzvah Projects or Volunteer Opportunities offered by the organization for children ages 11 - 13:
URJ Mitzvah Corps teens can serve communities in a variety of ways, including:
1. Working alongside and mentoring children of low income families in a day-camp setting
2. Partnering with local soup kitchens, community gardens and food banks to support healthy and sustainable food justice efforts
3. Building and running a free day camp for recently resettled refugee children
4. Developing sustainable building projects in small Costa Rican communities
5. Assisting the elderly in residence at a Jewish nursing facility
Minimum Age to Volunteer:
Completed 1 year of High School
Offer family volunteer opportunities?