134 Evergreen Place, Suite 103
East Orange, NJ 07018
Description of Organization:
The Sierra House Transitional Program is for homeless youth, young women and young mothers, between the ages of 18 and 25, who are victims of abuse, neglect or aging out of the foster care system. Participants of the program are economically disadvantaged and face barriers to employment, education, income, and health when they come to the Sierra House. While this group is difficult to reach, we are committed to serving them. Our mission is to provide housing, educational support, job skills, counseling, life skills and critical social services to help them attain self-sufficiency. Our two-year program has been successful at helping young women.
Bnai Mitzvah Projects or Volunteer Opportunities offered by the organization for children ages 11 - 13:
Performing a Community Service project at Sierra House provides participants with a meaningful “give-back” experience by allowing them to see first-hand how many of the things we tend to take for granted are not available to everyone. Volunteers gain teamwork and philanthropic experience, while the homeless young women and youth that we serve gain access to interactions and supplies that they might not be able to acquire.
Sierra House has a variety of projects that adolescent volunteers can work on – all of which can be tailored based on the interests of the volunteers. Some of the ways you can help Sierra House break the cycle of homelessness include:
1. Donate or share a part of your birthday or Bar/Bat Mitzvah gifts to Sierra House
2. Raise funds to help pay for the general operating expenses of the shelter by holding car washes, bakes sales, garage sales
3. Collect personal care items (shampoo & conditioner, soap, hand soap, deodorant, lotion, etc.) and household products (clothes detergent, pillow cases, twin sheets & blankets, toilet tissue, paper towels, garbage bags, etc.) for the young women
4. Collecting baby supplies (e.g., diapers, wipes, powder, lotion)
5. “Adopting A Room” Project – volunteer to redecorate one of the resident’s rooms
6. “Get It Together” Project – volunteer to reorganize an area at the house (e.g., closet, garage)
Minimum Age to Volunteer:
Offer family volunteer opportunities?