Description of Organization:
HomeFront is a social service agency whose mission is to end homelessness in Central New Jersey by harnessing the caring, resources and expertise of the community. They lessen the immediate pain of homelessness and help families become self-sufficient. HomeFront works to give their clients the skills and opportunities to ensure adequate incomes, and they work to increase the availability of adequate, affordable housing. HomeFront also helps homeless families advocate for themselves individually and collectively.
Bnai Mitzvah Projects or Volunteer Opportunities offered by the organization for children ages 11 - 13:
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Food Pantry & Warehouse – Prepare food bags, sort donations and check expiration dates in the food pantry. Organize items in the warehouse and help donors on the donation dock.
- SewingSpace – Cut fabric, organize sewing material and teach clients to sew, knit or crochet basic items. No experience necessary!
- FreeStore – Assist with sorting incoming donations of clothing, household items and linens and organize by category.
- Homework Helper – Assist the children at our Family Campus with their homework while also serving as a mentor and friend.
- Adult Tutoring – Tutor individuals working to obtain their High School diploma. Volunteers are needed for math, science and computer skills.
- Teaching Kitchen – Teach a low-budget healthy cooking class to either adults or children.
- ArtSpace – Encourage clients to express themselves through painting, drawing and poetry.
- Adult Programs – Interested in teaching a life skill? HomeFront is always looking for volunteers to lead workshops on budgeting, fitness, nutrition and more.
- Joy, Hopes and Dream Tutoring – Help in their offsite tutoring programs for homeless and at-risk children ages 5 through 17.
- Childcare – Assist staff in the Atkinson Development Center. Hold babies, read books and spend time with our infants and toddlers.
- Summer Camp – Spend your summer making a difference in the lives of homeless children at our award-winning camp.
- Back to School Drive Sponsors & Volunteers – Sponsor the kids to go Back to School prepared with a backpack, school supplies and clothing. Help process incoming items and organize donations.
- Thanksgiving Drive Sponsors & Volunteers – Prepare and donate a Thanksgiving basket for a family in need. Help organize baskets and prepare them for distribution.
- Holiday Wishes Drive Sponsors & Volunteers – Sponsor the kids by purchasing items on their Christmas wish list. Help process incoming items and organize donations.
Minimum Age to Volunteer:
Offer family volunteer opportunities?