Hachnassat Orchim: Virtual Mitzvah Opportunity #12
May 11, 2020, 12:01 am - 11:59 pm
Add to Outlook | Add to Google Calendar
Due to COVID-19 and the Coronavirus pandemic all in person programs have been canceled or postponed until further notice. We have developed a wide array of resources available at http://bit.ly/2wU5CTS and are now offering Daily Virtual Mitzvah Opportunities.
Each day will feature a particular theme that offers ideas that can be done virtually as well as suggestions that can be implemented in the future.
All of these programs are dedicated:
- In memory of those that have been lost to COVID-19. We feel for each and every family and may they be comforted amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.
- For a quick and complete recovery for those currently battling COVID-19. We pray for you and your families.
- In honor of the heroes and first reponders, the medical staff, delivery workers and all those serving with distinction at this much challenging time to keep us safe. We thank you and acknowledge your courage, bravery, dedicate, commitment and sacrifice and when this is over we will never forget your leadership and personal example.
Today’s theme is: Hachnassat Orchim
Now the Lord appeared to him in the plains of Mamre, and he was sitting at the entrance of the tent when the day was hot (Genesis 18:1).
- Call, e-mail or text someone new (to you) in your school or community to make them feel welcome.
- Create a WhatsApp group for your synagogue to welcome new-comers.
- Offer to run errands for someone new in the neighborhood or community.
- Drop off a bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine with a card on a neighbor’s doorstep to welcome them to the neighborhood.
- Give new members of your community a guide to the community that includes discounts to local establishments.
Into the future:
- Invite family and friends for Shabbat.
- Offer to host guests for someone else’s simcha.
- Host visitors from abroad who need a place to stay.
- Host your colleagues for a barbeque.
If you have more ideas for this theme and/or ideas for future days please let us know by e-mailing your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.