Feeding the Poor: Virtual Mitzvah Opportunity #5
April 30, 2020, 12:01 am - 11:59 pm
Add to Outlook | Add to Google Calendar
Due to COVID-19 and the Coronavirus pandemic all in person programs have been canceled or postponed until further notice. We have developed a wide array of resources available at http://bit.ly/2wU5CTS and are now offering Daily Virtual Mitzvah Opportunities.
Each day will feature a particular theme that offers ideas that can be done virtually as well as suggestions that can be implemented in the future.
All of these programs are dedicated:
- In memory of those that have been lost to COVID-19. We feel for each and every family and may they be comforted amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.
- For a quick and complete recovery for those currently battling COVID-19. We pray for you and your families.
- In honor of the heroes and first reponders, the medical staff, delivery workers and all those serving with distinction at this much challenging time to keep us safe. We thank you and acknowledge your courage, bravery, dedicate, commitment and sacrifice and when this is over we will never forget your leadership and personal example.
Today’s theme is: Feeding the Poor
When you reap the harvest of your Land, you shall not completely remove the corner of your field during your harvesting, and you shall not gather up the gleanings of your harvest. Rather, you shall leave these for the poor person and for the stranger. I am the Lord, your G-d (Leviticus 23:22).
- Donate canned or boxed goods to a soup kitchen or local food pantry.
- In lieu of gifts for an upcoming simcha, birthday or graduation request donations to a charity of your choice that feeds those in need.
- Educate yourself and others on why people become homeless.
- Brainstorm on how to be a positive connection to help others professionally.
- Contact your government officials and advocate that they actively do all they can to help those most vulnerable right now.
Into the future:
- Volunteer at a food pantry or soup kitchen.
- Donate leftover food from a simcha or corporate event to a local organization which collects it and gives it to those in need.
- Run a food drive in your local community.
- Volunteer to make deliveries for organizations that deliver food to those in need.
If you have more ideas for this theme and/or ideas for future days please let us know by e-mailing your suggestions to email@example.com.