Do Not Gossip: Virtual Mitzvah Opportunity #13
May 12, 2020, 12:01 am - 11:59 pm
Add to Outlook | Add to Google Calendar
Due to COVID-19 and the Coronavirus pandemic all in person programs have been canceled or postponed until further notice. We have developed a wide array of resources available at http://bit.ly/2wU5CTS and are now offering Daily Virtual Mitzvah Opportunities.
Each day will feature a particular theme that offers ideas that can be done virtually as well as suggestions that can be implemented in the future.
All of these programs are dedicated:
- In memory of those that have been lost to COVID-19. We feel for each and every family and may they be comforted amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.
- For a quick and complete recovery for those currently battling COVID-19. We pray for you and your families.
- In honor of the heroes and first reponders, the medical staff, delivery workers and all those serving with distinction at this much challenging time to keep us safe. We thank you and acknowledge your courage, bravery, dedicate, commitment and sacrifice and when this is over we will never forget your leadership and personal example.
Today’s theme is: Do Not Gossip
You shall not go around as a gossipmonger amidst your people. You shall not stand by [the shedding of] your fellow’s blood. I am the Lord (Leviticus 19:16).
- Study the laws of Lashon Hara or read a book dealing with the importance of ethical speech.
- Set aside an hour a day – if not more- to refrain from speaking Lashon Hara.
- Be a good example for everyone around you by only speaking kindly about others.
- Change the subject to avoid gossiping.
- Avoid spreading false rumors.
- Do not say anything about others that you wouldn’t them want to say about you.
Into the future:
- Plan a program on the power of ethical speech for your school, synagogue and community.
- Prepare an anti-bullying campaign at your local school.
- Stand up for others who are being slandered.
- Be careful to be considerate of others on social media.
- Never whisper in the presence of others.
If you have more ideas for this theme and/or ideas for future days please let us know by e-mailing your suggestions to email@example.com.